Military & Veterans Psychology (MVP®) Concentration
Programs and Support For Our Military Community
The Military and Veteran Psychology Area of Emphasis (MVP®) is a coordinated array of efforts to train culturally competent mental health professionals to provide services to military service members, veterans, and their families. MVP® requires students to complete focused academic coursework (Meeting the Needs of Returning Veterans and Systems; Military Families and the Cycle of Deployment; Trauma and the Military; Substance Abuse and Addiction in the Military), to participate in 2 years of non-academic personal development activities with other students, to provide relevant direct services through field training, and to conduct research in the areas of military and/or veteran matters.
MSPP's veterans flagship program Train Vets to Treat Vets® (TVTV) is funded by the Massachusetts Department of Veteran Services to train MSPP student veterans to become clinicians effective in working with veteran populations, to outreach to SM/Vets to consider careers in mental health, while simultaneously educating them about the mental health needs of veterans returning from deployment, to create a supportive community for student veterans, family and friends of military personnel, and for those interested in working with veterans and military families. The program also offers state-wide training conferences for mental health professionals to expand awareness of veterans' mental health needs.
The MVP® area of emphasis at MSPP is open in its entirety to clinical and counseling psychology students, whether they are veterans or civilians. The coursework associated with this emphasis is also available to organizational and school psychology students who have completed the necessary prerequisites.
- Training students to become clinicians effective in working with veteran populations
- Providing culturally competent mental health services to veterans and their families
- Reaching out to veterans to consider careers in mental health
- Providing a supportive community for student veterans, family and friends of military personal, and for those interested in working with veterans and military families.
MVP® Academic Concentration
- MA and PsyD concentration in Military and Veterans Psychology
- Academic courses include:
- Personal Growth and Professional Development
- Field Placement
- Capstone/Doctoral Project