The Dr. Leon O. Brenner Center for Psychological Assessment & Consultation
Early Childhood Assessment
Neurodevelopmental Assessment Service for Young Children (NYC)
Do you have questions or concerns about your young child between the ages of 2 and 8? The Brenner Center offers outstanding mental health expertise in the specific area of psychological and neurodevelopmental assessment of young children who are already exhibiting some symptoms or behaviors that cause parents, pediatricians, or teachers, to seek testing and advice.
Our neuropsychological evaluations result in written reports that are useful for parents, pediatricians, educators, early intervention service providers, and others in caregiving or professional roles. The evaluations are offered in two ways: on a fee-for-service basis or through some insurances.
While other service providers have waitlists that can be up to a year long, we can offer assessments with little to no wait time.
Here at the Brenner Center, our psychologists and graduate students are trained to answer the following questions:
Is my child developing in an age-appropriate manner?
Is my child gifted or twice-exceptional?
Is my child showing signs of:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Problems with sensory processing
- Developmental Delays
- Effects of traumatic experiences
- Speech and language difficulties
A young child might need neurodevelopmental evaluation for a variety of reasons:
- The growing awareness of autism and the autism spectrum, such that parents, pediatricians, and others, raise the question of a possible diagnosis (and early intervention) earlier and more frequently;
- The increase in the training and awareness of teachers regarding the spectrum of learning difficulties, behaviors manifested, and importance of early diagnosis, relating to young children already exhibiting problems in school;
- The increasing survival rate of "preemies" (prematurely born infants) and other medically fragile infants who as a consequence of their premature birth or health issues have some neurodevelopmental deficits that are apparent early in their life.
Our team can answer these questions and recommend appropriate interventions. The Brenner Center serves clients throughout Massachusetts.
The Brenner Center is an in-network provider for:
- Mass Health
- Network Health
- Boston Medical Center Health Plan
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- United Behavioral Health
Our offices in West Roxbury are fully handicap accessible with ample free parking. We typically complete the assessment, written report, and verbal feedback session within 30 days of the first face-to-face interview. We have the capacity in-house to assess clients in English, Spanish and 10 other languages. We offer rapid, state of the art evaluations and consultations for neurodevelopmental concerns relating to young children. For an appointment or more information, please call 617-323-6662 x549. We invite you to meet our postdoctoral fellow, Dr. Megan Kavanagh and explore our services. Click here to read her biography.