Field Education & Training
Become a Training Site for the Counseling Psychology Department
The Office of Field Education staff is available to work with sites that are interested in being approved for the training of MSPP practicum and intern level students. MSPP training requirements are program specific and will be provided in Training and Participation documents.
General Requirements for Field Site Approval
In order to be approved as a practicum site, an agency or institution must meet the following criteria:
- It must have integrated programs for the delivery of clinical mental health counseling.
- It must have clearly established provisions for supervision by appropriately qualified supervisors, one of whom will be designated as the student’s primary supervisor.
- It must offer trainees opportunities for face-to-face clinical contact with clients. Such contacts exclude telephone calls, vocational guidance services, academic school guidance services, industrial or organizational consulting services, teaching, and conducting research.
- It must be able to provide a training experience of at least 12 hours per week for a minimum of 30 weeks.
- It must be able to provide students with at least 40 total hours of direct client contact over the course of the practicum.
- It must be able to provide students with 25 total hours of supervision over the course of the practicum. Of those 25 hours, 10 must be individual, 5 must be group, and the remainder can be either individual or group. Site supervisors must be mental health professionals who hold independent licensure in their profession and have at least 5 years of full-time or the equivalent part-time postgraduate clinical mental health counseling experience as delineated in chapter CMR 262 of the Rules and Regulations for Licensure of Mental Health Counselors / Massachusetts Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health Professions. Qualified supervisors at the practicum level will include LMHCs; LICSWs; Psychologists; Psychiatrists; and LMFTs. Under certain circumstances, other professionals may also be qualified.
- Provide an emergency contact onsite. This does not take the place of the required clinical supervision by an approved supervisor.
In order to qualify as an internship site, an agency or institution must meet criteria 1, 2, and 3, above and in addition, must be able to:
- Provide a training experience of at least 20 hours per week for a minimum of 30 weeks.
- Provide interns with a minimum of 240 hours of direct client contact experience.
- Provide interns with a minimum of 45 hours of supervision over the course of the internship. Of those 25 hours, 15 must be individual, 15 must be group, and the remaining 15 may be individual or group. Internship supervisors must meet the same licensure and experience qualifications as practicum supervisors.
- Provide an emergency contact on-site. This does not take the place of the required clinical supervision by an approved supervisor.
Practicum students and interns may see clients only when there is a clinical supervisor or emergency contact on site.