Distance Learning at MSPP
Readiness Quiz: Is Distance Learning Right for Me?
Distance learning courses at MSPP allow students to learn with great flexibility. Our online programs offer courses that can be taken “anytime/anywhere” as long as students meet the weekly deadlines. This type of learning environment is essential for students who work full time, have family obligations, or for various other reasons cannot come to campus to learn. It is important to note, however, that with great learning flexibility comes additional responsibility. To be a successful distance learner, students should be aware of the unique learning styles and techniques that are essential in an online course.
This short quiz addresses some of these characteristics, and will allow you to better evaluate if distance learning at MSPP is right for you. Please write down your responses to each of the 10 questions.
QUESTIONS: Please write down your responses to each of the 10 questions.
- I believe that distance education courses require the same, if not more, of a time commitment than face-to-face courses.
- I am willing to share and use my own experiences as part of the learning process.
- I feel comfortable communicating my thoughts and reflections through writing.
- I would characterize myself as someone who:
- Often gets things done ahead of time
- Needs reminding to get things done on time
- Puts things off until the last minute
- On a typical week, I can set aside 6-10 hours to commit to school work.
- I would characterize myself as someone who is self-motivated.
- When it comes to trying new technology, I feel:
- Not 100% comfortable, but willing to learn
- Not comfortable
- Feeling that I am a part of a learning cohort is:
- Not particularly necessary to me
- Somewhat important to me
- Very important to me
- In order to feel confident in my work, I need instructor feedback:
- Within a few weeks so I can review what I did
- Within a few days or I forget what I did
- Right away or I get very frustrated.
- When reading instructional text:
- I usually understand it right away
- It might take me a few attempts to fully understand it
- I have trouble understanding written instructions
RESULTS: Please add up the number of A’s, B’s and C’s you selected.
If you have mostly A’s: Your results indicate that you may be a self-motivated and independent learner, who is comfortable learning in an online environment. We encourage you to apply to one of MSPP’s distance education programs.
If you have mostly B’s: You may be a successful online student but we recommend that you make a few adjustments in your schedule and study habits in order to be most successful. Online courses take at least as much time and effort and in some cases more time than traditional face-to-face courses. They also require a basic knowledge and comfort level with technology.
If you have mostly C’s: Your results indicate that distance education courses may not be currently the best choice for you. While we do not discourage you from applying to one of our distance education programs, we recommend doing a little more research on what makes a successful online student, and adjust your schedule and study habits accordingly.