Organizational and Leadership Psychology Department
EXECUTIVE COACHING SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES
This course builds and/or refines the student’s repertoire of basic coaching skills applicable to most executive coaching situations (e.g. self-awareness, empathy, listening, questioning, giving and receiving feedback, confrontation, limit setting, demonstrating leadership, etc.). It then develops the specialized executive coaching techniques described below. The course uses a combination of expert demonstrations, case applications, real coaching situations, peer coaching, video recording and feedback, and individualized skill, practice, and style enhancement. The five specialized coaching techniques covered in the course are:
- developmental coaching: - to help executives and other leaders build and change awareness, attitudes, confidence, and perspective;
- communication coaching: - to help executives and other leaders develop skills, change habits, and increase their communication effectiveness through a variety of methods including improved listening, presentations, leading and participating in dialogs, writing, and non-verbal communication;
- leadership coaching - to help executives and other leaders enhance their leadership to drive long-term organizational success through vision, strategy, inspiration, alignment, integration, and commitment;
- management coaching - to help executives and other leaders develop and refine their management practices and tactics for increased performance, teamwork, quality, service, and financial results;
- career/life coaching: - to help executives and other leaders with their career development, decision making, spiritual and personal satisfaction and work/life planning and balance.